Sunday, May 5, 2013

Zucchini Keftedes with Feta & Dill

This was the first recipe I came across on Epicurious that really caught my eye and made me love the site. Keftedes made out of zucchini like potato patties! Why didn't I think of that?
 
Keftedes are a tradition in my family, as in any Greek family. It's our version of meatballs and we throw in everything but the kitchen sink when making them. I think I asked for them by name at under 2 years old. So, this was a great find and it made my taste buds scream "Opa!"
 
2 small or 1 large zucchini
1 Tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup minced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 large egg, beaten
3 Tbsp dill
1 Tsp lemon zest
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
3-4 Tbsp vegetable oil
 
Recipe Adapted from Epicurious
Grate zucchini on a cheese grater.
Mix in remaining ingredients and form into patties. Firmly pack patties and place on parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
Heat up a skillet and once hot, add oil. Place patties in the pan and brown on each side until golden (3-4 minutes). Place on a paper towel to sop up extra oil and cover with a paper towel. Gently pat out excess oil. Best served warm!
 
Serve with plain Greek yogurt or better with Tzatziki. I think I might make a big batch of these and then freeze them. They were very moist so, I think they would reheat well in the oven. They would certainly be a great addition to my Greek Easter, which is today!


2 comments:

  1. Will make these amongst other things on Saturday for our meze evening for the Eurovision Song Contest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Hope they turn out good.

    I need to add an update to this that you can use a food processor to chop the zucchini faster. They came out just as good this way when I made them again for Greek Easter.

    ReplyDelete