Friday, April 12, 2013

Healthy Cake Batter Ice Cream

We've had our KitchenAid for about 7 years now and although I have almost every attachment for it, I haven't tried them. I live by this thing for holidays; couldn't live without it. Admittedly, the ice cream attachment has been in my freezer taking up space for that long and had never been used. When I came across this recipe, I had to try it.

I've been on a huge Almond Milk kick lately. I love it in cereal and I can honestly say that I'm never going back! I don't use it for cooking and haven't tried it in coffee but, I never noticed a difference at all when I switched to it, except of course in calories! Literally it's a fourth of even skim milk and better in every aspect! I'll give you a quick comparison.
 
Skim Milk: 110 Calories, 2.5g Fat, 13g Carbohydrates, 8g Protein, 276mg Calcium
Almond Milk: 30 Calories, 2.5g Fat, 1g Carbohydrates, 1g Protein, 455mg Calcium
Almond milk is free of dairy, soy, lactose, cholesterol, peanuts, casein, gluten, eggs, saturated fat, and MSG. It's vegan and has a low glycemic index.

I prefer to buy the vanilla anyways since, like I said, I don't cook with it yet and it only adds 5 calories. I tried this about 10 years ago, at someone's insistence, when it barely existed and certainly was not mainstream. Back then it was hard to find, tasted much more like crushed almonds, and was much creamier and thicker. It couldn't have won me over back then though, since I forgot all about it.

So, I tried this recipe. Here is what I can tell you. I loved the maker! It wasn't a quick thing (20-25 minutes). You really have to push the auger on! I honestly thought mine didn't fit and had to google it. It goes all the way up on my model, past where you'd ever think and goes on with an audible click. Here is a link to help you out if you're having the same problem.
 
1 Tsp vanilla extract
1/16 Tsp salt
1 Tsp rainbow sprinkles
2 cups vanilla almond milk
2 Tsp coconut extract

Recipe Adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie
Throw everything but the sprinkles into the bowl, these go in about 30 seconds before you are done with the ice cream. Make sure the auger is moving when you add anything to the bowl.
 
The end result was...okay. I mean, what do you want for 40 calorie ice cream I suppose? It had an aftertaste. I'm not quite sure if it was the extracts or the milk. Next time I'm gonna try a different recipe with the chocolate flavor. My husband LOVES ice cream! He'll eat any flavor, anytime, in a blizzard, and lots of it! Even he looked at me a bit funny when I presented him with this. He did eat it, but next time I'll surely try another recipe. This is as close to a Pinterest fail as I've gotten. Maybe you can try it out for yourself with some minor adjustments and come up with more of a winner!

What's with the needed salt in ice cream by the way? Every recipe says very strictly: do not omit! Salt somehow magically makes ice cream like fairy dust? Well, I looked it up, and the answer is: the salt lowers the freezing temperature of liquid. So, you shouldn't omit that minuscule amount of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment