Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Pizza Pasta Pie

When I came across this dish on Pinterest, I knew I had to come up with my own version of it. What a fun and exciting dinner that any child and adult alike would get a kick out of! It's the taste of pizza, with the comfort food of pasta, beautified into a pie! Yum!
 
1/2 box dry spaghetti
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups of tomato sauce
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
2 Tsp garlic powder
1 Tsp onion powder
2 sausage links, cut into 1 inch pieces
12-15 slices pepperoni
1/4 cup chopped peppers
1/2 cup chopped onions
 
Recipe Adapted from Culinary Couture Blog
 In a bowl, mix ricotta cheese with the spices. This was a strictly personal addition for me. Ricotta cheese has never been my thing so, when I cook Lasagna and similar dishes, I spice it up really well.
Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and cook sausages, onions, and peppers over medium high heat for 10-12 minutes, or until browned.
Lightly spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray and set aside.
Cook the spaghetti for the shortest time indicated on the package, al dente. Drain, rinse under cold water, and shake well to remove excess water. Pat down the top with a few paper towels. Toss in a large bowl with egg and the gratedcheese.
Press the spaghetti firmly into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate to form the bottom of your pie. I found that refrigerating the pie for a bit kept it together better when cutting slices.
Spoon ricotta mixture over the spaghetti and spread evenly along the bottom.
 Spoon the meat mixture over the ricotta and fan out the pepperoni slices on top. Top with tomato sauce. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting into it.
Thank you to my friend, Alyssa Gray for the last picture as I left this dish for her to serve and didn't see the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment