Saturday, April 20, 2013

Thai Chicken Pasta

Reflecting on my most recent blogs, I seem to be cooking very healthy and be on quite the veggie kick. While that is true and I'm watching what I eat, I've been neglecting my comfort food and dessert blogging for those interested. So, here's an indulgent meal that is one of my absolute favorites!
 
I've been obsessed with peanut sauce since I was a little girl and my father took me to La Piment Rouge in Montreal on a business trip. They served Chicken in Peanut Sauce and it was awesome!

I love Pad Thai! There's a restaurant in my childhood hometown, Out Of Asia, that makes the best one, in my opinion, because it's packed full of variety in the meat and you don't have to pick just one. And I love their sauce.

I used to swear by Thai Chicken Pasta at The Cheesecake Factory every time I went! The last time I went there, I was crushed that out of all things, they took this off their menu! I mean, they have a HUGE menu, of all things to get rid of! This type of thing happens to me a lot! I don't know if I typically just like the things nobody else does, but it's sad when it happens and I hate it. A waitress even tipped me off that they would sell me a bottle of the sauce like their salad dressing and I always took one home. So, I picked their recipe apart and made my own recipe to savor it at home.
I have been on a quest for the perfect peanut sauce. I hadn't found one until now so I usually made my own concoction. Mostly I find them too spicy and not so genuine, but I can tell you out of all the open bottles of it in my fridge used once, this is the winner. It's readily available on Amazon.
 
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tsp grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, grated
1 Tbsp peanut sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 Tsp Chinese 5 spice
1 Tsp onion powder
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp butter
1 package sprouts
1/2 cup julienned carrots (2 stalks)
1 box your favorite pasta, cooked
chopped peanuts for topping
 In a saucepan, mix together onions, olive oil, ginger, garlic, peanut sauce, and soy sauce. Cook over medium heat until onions begin to caramelize (5-10 minutes).
Add in your chicken, browning on one side.
Add in Italian seasoning, Chinese 5 spice, onion powder, garlic powder, and mix thoroughly. Brown chicken on other side until the chicken is cooked through (10-15 minutes).
Add in the butter and chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil. Add in julienned carrots and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
Toss the mixture into the cooked pasta and mix thoroughly. Mix in as much additional peanut sauce as you would like as a pasta sauce. The broth will coat the pasta lightly enough for it not to stick but, I used about 1/4-1/2 cup for an entire pound of cooked pasta.
 
When serving this dish, scoop mixture out into plates or bowls. Then top with sprouts, as they will wilt and get soggy if they get warmed from the dish. You can mix it in before you eat it if you like. Then top with some chopped peanuts. I always serve with chopsticks! I hope you enjoy one of my favorite signature dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment