Thursday, April 25, 2013

Potato Parsnip Smash

I'm always looking for ways to sneak vegetables into food. I hardly ever make a meat or starch without it having vegetables in it. So, I'm always on a quest to find new vegetables I really haven't tried like parsnips, turnips, etc. I really didn't even know what a parsnip was when I came across a recipe, thumbing through a magazine. I didn't come across it for a while, I guess because I really didn't know what I was looking for!
Here is a parsnip! Basically, it looks like a white carrot, right? I actually love carrots in my mashed potatoes so this recipe sounded like a good thing to try.
 
3 parsnips
10-12 mini red potatoes
salt and pepper, to taste
1 oz cream cheese
1 Tbsp chives
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tsp garlic powder
2 Tsp onion powder
1 Tbsp butter
 
Recipe Adapted from Daily Unadventures In Cooking
Scrub the potatoes with a brush under water to clean. Cut them up, without peeling them, into bite-sized pieces. Peel the parsnips and chop them up as well. Boil them in water with the parsley for about 30 minutes. Mash them in a mixer or with a hand blender and add the remaining ingredients.
If you use gluten free butter and cream cheese, you can easily adapt this recipe to be gluten free!

No comments:

Post a Comment